INTERNATIONAL LINKAGE PROGRAMMES
The University of Uyo maintains linkages with selected Universities for the purpose of collaborative research in areas of mutual interest, the fostering of staff and student exchange and the facilitating interchange of research materials and information. The linkages are currently with the following institutions:
- Southern University and A & M College, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA.
- The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)-funded curriculum development ABUILD project on Language documentation with the University of Bielefeld, Germany.
- Lancaster University, England.
- Texas Southern University.
- Queen Mary College, University of London, UK
- Stepping Stones Nigeria/UK and Christopher Jolly Learning Resources, UK.
- School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London (PM12 Connect and Delivery Funding)
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway.
- AFREN, UK
The linkage programmes are co-ordinated in the University by the office of the International Programmes.
SOME UNIVERSITY OF UYO HIGHLIGHTS
- The University of Uyo puts God first in all her business. An annual covenant service holds April 11 of every year. During the service, Staff and students rededicate the University and all her dealings to Almighty God.
- The University of Uyo actually pioneered the introduction of the Post-UTME screening exercise for admission of candidates into universities in the country in 2003, The process is always transparent and credible with JAMB and NUC officials as observers. The University is rated the best in this regard.
- University of Uyo Students In Free Enterprise (SIFE) has won several trophies in national and international competitions such as Coca-Cola African Foundation entrepreneurship competition, SIFE National competitions, SIFE Africa, etc. In 2003, the University team was placed first in Nigeria and third in the world.
- As an international centre for learning, the University has a handful of foreign students, expatriate staff, and linkages programmes with some Universities abroad such as University of Lancaster, UK, Cote-d’Ivoire, Bielefeld in Germany, Portsmouth in UK among others.
- University of Uyo is one of the six Universities in Nigeria given approval to offer admission to foreign students.
- University of Uyo is one of the six Universities selected for modelling after Harvard.
- The Department of Communication Arts has well-equipped modern radio. The Department is among the very few in the country approved and licensed for campus radio broadcasting.
- The UNIUYO Department of Music has a standard Mass Choir and band fit for any occasion.
- UNIUYO also has the School of Continuing Education (SCE) which is helping more Nigerians to gain access to qualitative higher education. Programmes exist at the Certificate, Diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate levels.