The University Research Committee (URC) promotes and co-ordinates research activities within the University and also manages the University Research Fund.
The main research centres include: Clement Isong Centre for Development Studies: The objective is to harness the resources of the university in the social sciences for development –oriented research, including fundamental in-depth studies of public policy issues related to the Third World development in general and the development of Nigeria in particular.
Centre for Cultural Studies: It focuses on research workshops and other programmes to promote the culture of the peoples of Nigeria with a view to enhancing its cultural identity.
Central Research Laboratory: The laboratory houses major items of scientific research and teaching equipment which meet the needs of several departments.
Centre for Wetlands and Waste Management: The objective is to undertake detailed studies on the wetland ecosystem in Nigeria as well as the production, composition, disposal and utilization options for agricultural, municipal and industrial waste in the country.
Centre for Skills Acquisition and Rural Development: The objective of the centre is to promote individual skill acquisition and community development in Nigeria. It also serves as the nucleus of the University extension services.
Centre for Entrepreneurial Development: CED is a centre of excellence in establishing, preserving, restoring and improving the entrepreneurial activities of our Community by offering the highest quality of management services. Its objectives are:
- the stimulation of interest in entrepreneurship;
- assisting organizations and individuals to develop and/or update their entrepreneurial skills;
- counselling and consulting services to small and medium scale enterprises;
- provision of opportunity for faculty members to strengthen their interaction with practising businessmen;
- developing commercial oriented projects within the immediate community, state and country;
- support and develop theoretical and applied research in business enterprises that will increase knowledge and understanding;
- form alliances and joint venture partnerships for deeper understanding and attract national and international investors.